Welcome to MuggleCast.com, the online home of our Harry Potter podcast! Our show has been podcasting about J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World since 2005. With each new episode we discuss the latest Harry Potter, Cursed Child, and Fantastic Beasts news and theories, and discuss all things fandom.
Thanks to our supporters on Patreon, we’re currently releasing two episodes per month. You can pledge as little as $2/month to help us reach our next milestone, which will allow us to record four episodes each month! Just like old times!
Visit our Episodes page for the older shows.
Subscribe to our podcast:
We highly recommend subscribing so that you can automatically receive each new episode. To do so, pick one of these options:
- Visit us in the iTunes store, then click ‘Subscribe.’
- iTunes not your thing? We recommend the app “Casts” for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android. For a free alternative to these apps, use Apple’s official Podcasts app or Podcast & Radio Addict for Android.
- Prefer a different app? Copy and paste this RSS feed into the app, or search for MuggleCast in the app’s podcast directory: http://podcasts.hypable.com/mugglecast/mugglecast.rss
Find our latest episodes below, or click here to begin browsing our complete archive.
Last edited May 1, 2016.
We review what we’ve been up to and fandom and discuss the MAJOR news about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!
– Andrew reminisces about LeakyCon while Eric reviews Sorcerer’s Stone in IMAX
– Does the Fantastic Beasts soundtrack offer huge insights into what we can expect to see in the film?
– We review what we know about the Fantastic Beasts mobile game…
– And Micah thinks Warner Bros is missing a big opportunity in NYC!
– Celebrating 20 Years of Magic! Make sure to get your copy of Newsweek today!
– Main Discussion: Fantastic Beasts is now a five-part movie series!
– Will all five films be focused on beasts? Or is it this all building toward the First Wizarding War? What’s Newt’s connection to Grindelwald? And could we be headed to other wizarding institutions around the world?
– We discuss what will determine the overall success of the series.
– David Yates addresses whether this is all just a money-grab… and name drops a major Potter character for the Fantastic Beast sequel.
– Listener Feedback: mixed reaction to the announcement by JKR
– In this week’s Bonus MuggleCast available on Patreon, we discuss how five movies will affect fandom, and if we can analyze this new movie like we would any J.K. Rowling / Harry Potter book.
Running time: 1:06:24, 39.8 MB
Lots of news to discuss in our first episode of October! Hypable’s Hype podcast host Pamela joins us to discuss all of the latest and greatest news.
- Expecto Patronum! The long-awaited quiz is finally here and the hosts reveal their Patronuses!
- Listeners share Patronus quiz results and if they’re happy with the outcome
- Chamber of Secrets: The Illustrated Edition hits store shelves and we have some questions!
- Why are their less illustrations? How will the length of future books impact the number of illustrations? Do these editions take away from the imaginations of younger readers? What’s up with Dobby’s bare ass?
- The final Fantastic Beasts trailer is released… with the mention of a very familiar dark wizard!
- Will Dumbledore help Newt fight Grindelwald? Will Newt be the only one capturing beasts? Whose side is Graves really on?
- Get your tickets! All 8 Harry Potter movies are returning to theaters for one week only! A great opportunity to see the earlier films.
- The main theme for Fantastic Beasts is revealed and it sounds awfully familiar…
- Harry Potter merch is making a comeback!
- Party in the Park – don’t miss out on an exclusive event at LeakyCon in Los Angeles (and after-party on Andrew’s rooftop)!
- Bonus MuggleCast: The History of MACUSA (Coming to Patreon later in October)
Running time: 1:10:07, 42.2 MB
We discuss recent news, MuggleNet’s visit to the set of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and more!
- Andrew’s elusive quest for the vibrating broomstick continues
- An exciting Patreon announcement: it’s never been easier to listen to our bonus content!
- A Patronus quiz? We’re skeptical. Listeners share other quizzes they’d like to see on Pottermore.
- Cormoran Strike has been cast! We discuss adapting the book series to television.
- Halloween is coming to the Wizarding World theme park in Japan! Is the Orlando park missing a huge opportunity?
- Next stop for Harry Potter: The Exhibition… The Netherlands! Hopefully, they allow photos now.
- LEGO Harry Potter gets a makeover (and some very cool additions)! Here is the interview with Arthur Parsons, and here is Jonathan Smith on LEGO HP 1-4.
- We speak with MuggleNet’s Jessica Jordan, who visited the set of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them!
- Full set report and interviews.
- Mailbag: Our thoughts on good adaptations vs. good movies, the most shocking plot point of The Cursed Child and… Mandrakes!
- Eric has a few PO Box updates, but sadly no live goats… yet…
Running time: 1:35:18, 57.3 MB
The 300th installment of MuggleCast has arrived! Thank you to our Patreon supporters, who helped us unlock Mega MuggleCast, bringing many of our old friends back on the show!
- The band is back together… Laura, Matt, Elysa & Mikey B return to celebrate this milestone!
- You can find Laura, Matt, Elysa, and Andrew on #Millennial podcast. Meanwhile, Mikey hosts Hypable’s Resistance Radio.
- And a special guest appearance by everyone’s favorite Brit!
- WAMP WAMP! We learn which Ilvermorny house each host was sorted into!
- The Cursed Child gets mixed reviews from the larger panel.
- Who said it?! A Cursed Child character or Original Story character (or Laura)? You might be surprised!
- The expansion of the Wizarding World: what would we like to see next? Has it gone too far already?
- Is Pottermore becoming the clearinghouse for all things Potter?
- Ilvermorny House controversy! We thought those drawings looked awfully familiar!
- NOT SAFE FOR WORK! We discuss things that definitely happened in the Potter series but JKR didn’t include because they were “kid” novels.
- Aberforth and his clean goat Severus
- Scabbers saw quite a bit of Weasley in his day
- Love potions… as date rape drugs?
- The prefect’s bathroom… an all-out orgy!
- Plus Bertha Jorkins & Peter Pettigrew, Polyjuice & puberty, Gilderoy Lockhart and vibrating brooms!
Running time: 1:15:38, 36.4 MB
With only one episode to go until our landmark 300th show, MuggleCast 299 covers the back half of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Part 2. This week we’re joined by HYPE host Selina Wilken!
– We dive deep into Part 2 of The Cursed Child
– Scorpius returns to an alternate reality
– Why Snape didn’t translate well on stage
– Would humiliating Cedric actually drive him to become a Death Eater?
– One listener wonders why Moody didn’t see Albus & Scorpius in The Maze?
– The Second Prophecy
– Voldemort had a child, which means… many things we didn’t think were possible
– Why was nobody suspicious/aware of a pregnant Bellatrix?
– The blanket: was it a stretch? We think so.
– Halloween 1981: are there certain events in the Potter series that shouldn’t be touched?
– Listener tweets
– Mega MuggleCast is coming!
– Support us on Patreon to receive signed album art and Bonus MuggleCast episodes. This month we’ll be using Bonus MC to discuss the latest news.
Running time: 1:41:28, 61 MB
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has arrived around the world! We’ve read the script book and are ready to dive in. In today’s episode we break down Part 1. Continue reading →
With less than a week until The Cursed Child is released around the world, Andrew, Micah, Eric, and longtime listener/friend/writer John Thrasher talk about the eighth story and Fantastic Beasts at San Diego Comic-Con! Plus, we have a spoiler-free early review of Fantastic Beasts from someone who attended a test screening!
On Episode 297 we discuss…
- The Cursed Child release is just days away! AHHH!
- Is WB already working on a movie adaptation?
- Emma Watson meets the new Hermione and gives her thoughts on The Cursed Child — it was so great seeing this photo!
- Fantastic Beasts hits Comic-Con, and everyone in the audience (including Andrew) gets a free wand from Eddie Redmayne.
- What’s up with Newt’s wand? It’s hollow at its base.
- Chicago continues its Potter screening tradition and we’ve got someone on the inside! (Thanks, Jeanna!)
- Trailer hype: house-elves, goblins, no-Majs, helmets, Jon Voight, new beasts & more!
- Favorites: midnight release party edition
- We’ll be live in Brooklyn, NY & Orlando, FL next weekend for The Cursed Child midnight release parties! Come join us!
- Thanks to John for joining us! Be sure to check him out on Currently podcast!
Running time: 1:23:10, 47.8 MB
From Ireland to Massachusetts, the story of the founder(s) of Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, released on Pottermore, is discussed in depth on our latest episode of MuggleCast! Join Andrew, Eric, Micah and Selina as they reveal which Houses they received on Pottermore’s latest quiz, and dissect the story of Isolt Sayre, her evil aunt Gormlaith Gaunt, and the early days of their family in North America!
On Episode 296 we discuss…
- There’s a new milestone on our Patreon, which’ll unlock MEGA MUGGLECAST!
- Main Discussion: Ilvermorny Houses AND History!
- What Ilvermorny Houses did each of the hosts get?
- Is there any connection between Hogwarts and Ilvermorny House traits?
- Statistical data is being reviewed based on sorting results. Fill out this survey here.
- Slytherin’s descendants play a large role in this story!
- The Pukwudgie, William and the strange, new world
- The duel and James’ near sacrifice
- Haunted by bloodlines, the future of Isolt’s legacy
- Listeners share how they think their Hogwarts and Ilvermorny are (or aren’t) connected.
- Another listener points out the beautiful ways JKR writes about the American Dream.
- Eric will be at Leviosa, and he and Andrew will be at GeekyCon!
- You can hear Selina every week on Hypable’s Hype!
A few of the articles we talk about on the show:
– Selina’s article on connecting the Ilvermorny and Hogwarts Houses
– Where is each Hogwarts House ending up at Ilvermorny?
Running time: 1:30:44, 54.6 MB
Andrew, Micah, and Eric discuss the major plot points in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. MAJOR SPOILER WARNING! For a spoiler-free review, please listen to Episode 294.
– Our SPOILER-FILLED thoughts on The Cursed Child
– We discuss this damn story. What the heck is this?
– The way the play starts off gets you ready for the big twist at the end. But it doesn’t help.
– Why are so many old plot devices used to tell the eighth story?
– Someone on Reddit figured out how the big Cursed Child twist can fit into canon — nine months ago.
– Andrew highlights his favorite parts of the plot, including the Trolley Lady’s secret.
– Why Micah and Eric chose to read the spoilers.
– Can this truly be considered the eighth story, given its problems? It’s not moving the overall story forward.
Running time: 1:15:58, 45.7 MB
Andrew is back from seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, so the three amigos discuss the play in a spoiler-free manner. For our spoiler-filled review, please listen to Episode 295.
– Our spoiler FREE thoughts on The Cursed Child
– But first, a word about the horrific shooting in Orlando
– Andrew rocks out at Stonehenge with The Boss
– The Palace Theatre needs some AC
– An owl goes rogue during the play, and Micah gains a new favorite animal
– The Cursed Child – the immersive experience vs. the actual plot
– It’s unlike anything you’ve seen on stage — but that’s the problem with it being turned into a book.
– The actors – Hermione & Scorpius’ standout performances
– The plot debate (as unspoilery as we can be)
– #Wormtaily – we give our thoughts on JKR’s response to Hypable’s “spoilers”
– Poll: Have you purposely read Cursed Child spoilers?
– Andrew The Button Thief
Running time: 1:01:40, 37.1 MB