Welcome to MuggleCast.com, the online home of our Harry Potter podcast! Our show has been podcasting about J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World since 2005. With each new episode we discuss the latest Harry Potter, Cursed Child, and Fantastic Beasts news and theories, and discuss all things fandom.
Thanks to our supporters on Patreon, we’re currently releasing two episodes per month. You can pledge as little as $2/month to help us reach our next milestone, which will allow us to record four episodes each month! Just like old times!
Visit our Episodes page for the older shows.
Subscribe to our podcast:
We highly recommend subscribing so that you can automatically receive each new episode. To do so, pick one of these options:
- Visit us in the iTunes store, then click ‘Subscribe.’
- iTunes not your thing? We recommend the app “Casts” for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android. For a free alternative to these apps, use Apple’s official Podcasts app or Podcast & Radio Addict for Android.
- Prefer a different app? Copy and paste this RSS feed into the app, or search for MuggleCast in the app’s podcast directory: http://podcasts.hypable.com/mugglecast/mugglecast.rss
Find our latest episodes below, or click here to begin browsing our complete archive.
Last edited May 1, 2016.
With less than a week until The Cursed Child is released around the world, Andrew, Micah, Eric, and longtime listener/friend/writer John Thrasher talk about the eighth story and Fantastic Beasts at San Diego Comic-Con! Plus, we have a spoiler-free early review of Fantastic Beasts from someone who attended a test screening!
Before we get to show notes, 🚨 RED ALERT! 🚨 If you want to be eligible to receive a MuggleCast t-shirt, you have until July 31, 2016 to pledge $5+ to our Patreon. Once you do, you’ll have instant access to a slew of bonus content! You’ll also received signed album art in the mail. Check out the two shirt designs below — you’ll get to pick which design you receive!
On Episode 297 we discuss…
- The Cursed Child release is just days away! AHHH!
- Is WB already working on a movie adaptation?
- Emma Watson meets the new Hermione and gives her thoughts on The Cursed Child — it was so great seeing this photo!
- Fantastic Beasts hits Comic-Con, and everyone in the audience (including Andrew) gets a free wand from Eddie Redmayne.
- What’s up with Newt’s wand? It’s hollow at its base.
- Chicago continues its Potter screening tradition and we’ve got someone on the inside! (Thanks, Jeanna!)
- Trailer hype: house-elves, goblins, no-Majs, helmets, Jon Voight, new beasts & more!
- Favorites: midnight release party edition
- We’ll be live in Brooklyn, NY & Orlando, FL next weekend for The Cursed Child midnight release parties! Come join us!
- Thanks to John for joining us! Be sure to check him out on Currently podcast!
Running time: 1:23:10, 47.8 MB
From Ireland to Massachusetts, the story of the founder(s) of Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, released on Pottermore, is discussed in depth on our latest episode of MuggleCast! Join Andrew, Eric, Micah and Selina as they reveal which Houses they received on Pottermore’s latest quiz, and dissect the story of Isolt Sayre, her evil aunt Gormlaith Gaunt, and the early days of their family in North America!
On Episode 296 we discuss…
- There’s a new milestone on our Patreon, which’ll unlock MEGA MUGGLECAST!
- Main Discussion: Ilvermorny Houses AND History!
- What Ilvermorny Houses did each of the hosts get?
- Is there any connection between Hogwarts and Ilvermorny House traits?
- Statistical data is being reviewed based on sorting results. Fill out this survey here.
- Slytherin’s descendants play a large role in this story!
- The Pukwudgie, William and the strange, new world
- The duel and James’ near sacrifice
- Haunted by bloodlines, the future of Isolt’s legacy
- Listeners share how they think their Hogwarts and Ilvermorny are (or aren’t) connected.
- Another listener points out the beautiful ways JKR writes about the American Dream.
- Eric will be at Leviosa, and he and Andrew will be at GeekyCon!
- You can hear Selina every week on Hypable’s Hype!
A few of the articles we talk about on the show:
– Selina’s article on connecting the Ilvermorny and Hogwarts Houses
– Where is each Hogwarts House ending up at Ilvermorny?
Running time: 1:30:44, 54.6 MB
Andrew, Micah, and Eric discuss the major plot points in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. MAJOR SPOILER WARNING! For a spoiler-free review, please listen to Episode 294.
– Our SPOILER-FILLED thoughts on The Cursed Child
– We discuss this damn story. What the heck is this?
– The way the play starts off gets you ready for the big twist at the end. But it doesn’t help.
– Why are so many old plot devices used to tell the eighth story?
– Someone on Reddit figured out how the big Cursed Child twist can fit into canon — nine months ago.
– Andrew highlights his favorite parts of the plot, including the Trolley Lady’s secret.
– Why Micah and Eric chose to read the spoilers.
– Can this truly be considered the eighth story, given its problems? It’s not moving the overall story forward.
Running time: 1:15:58, 45.7 MB
Andrew is back from seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, so the three amigos discuss the play in a spoiler-free manner. For our spoiler-filled review, please listen to Episode 295.
– Our spoiler FREE thoughts on The Cursed Child
– But first, a word about the horrific shooting in Orlando
– Andrew rocks out at Stonehenge with The Boss
– The Palace Theatre needs some AC
– An owl goes rogue during the play, and Micah gains a new favorite animal
– The Cursed Child – the immersive experience vs. the actual plot
– It’s unlike anything you’ve seen on stage — but that’s the problem with it being turned into a book.
– The actors – Hermione & Scorpius’ standout performances
– The plot debate (as unspoilery as we can be)
– #Wormtaily – we give our thoughts on JKR’s response to Hypable’s “spoilers”
– Poll: Have you purposely read Cursed Child spoilers?
– Andrew The Button Thief
Running time: 1:01:40, 37.1 MB
In the last episode before Andrew and Selina see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the group makes final predictions about what will happen in the play. We’re also joined by Hypable writer Brittany Lovely! Continue reading →
Welcome back to twice-monthly MuggleCast! Hypable writer and Hype podcast host Selina Wilken joins us on this episode — our second in May.
– Andrew is in the middle of re-reading Sorcerer’s Stone again, and he’s loving it.
– The Ilvermorny house names unintentionally appeared deep within Pottermore.
– Based on how little we know about the houses, do we like them so far?
– Why do they have to be named after animals?
– We address some criticism brought up by Io9.
– J.K. Rowling offers a fan in need an Expecto Patronum tattoo.
– New, year-specific robes are now at Hogwarts — and will appear in The Cursed Child.
– With the Harry Potter Stage Play fast approaching, we each make two predictions about what twists are in store.
– J.K. Rowling apologized for killing Remus Lupin. But should she really “apologize”?
– Make the Connection gets really weird. As usual.
– What would we each see in the Mirror of Erised?
– One of our listeners shares his concerns about Harry Potter’s timeline suddenly running out of sync with his readers in The Cursed Child. Can we relate to an overworked, middle aged employee?
Running time: 1:24:19, 50.7 MB
Welcome back Laura (who co-hosts #Millennial with Andrew)! We used to title many of our episodes after you.
MuggleCast is back to doing two episodes per month! HOORAY! Thanks to all of our Patrons who helped get us here.
We also have a new website at MuggleCast.com where it’s easier to listen to the podcast. Check it out!
We discuss the latest Cursed Child updates, including JK Rowling asking for no spoilers (lol)
Fantastic Beasts will also be published as a script book. Uhm, why?
Characters from the world of Harry Potter WILL be showing up in the Fantastic Beasts movie. Who do we want to see?
Top Ten: The Battle of Hogwarts Would Have Been Even Worse If…
Pen and Paper Are My Priority returns, as does Chicken Soup
In Bonus MuggleCast on Patreon, we’ll discuss the Battle of Hogwarts anniversary and what other books we’d like to see J.K. Rowling write in the Wizarding World.
Running time: 56:41, 34.2 MB
- A new, and REALLY GREAT, trailer for Fantastic Beasts is here!
- This trailer is special because, for the first time, we’re getting a sense of the magic in the new movie.
- It turns out that Newt was expelled from Hogwarts. What does this mean for this film series?
- J.K. Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts book says he graduated. So does he return to Hogwarts, or will the Harry Potter author be changing canon?
- Do we like the use of Hedwig’s Theme again?
- We ask listeners for their reactions to the trailer and talk about the fandom’s take on the new preview.
- Top 10: Spring cleaning is so much easier for Wizards and Witches because…
- Wizarding World Hollywood is now open. Andrew recaps the Grand Opening event.
- The Chamber of Secrets Illustrated Edition is coming. It looks beautiful!
- In Listener Feedback we address last episode’s Native American discussion.
Bonus MuggleCast (on Patreon)
We discuss the actual beasts in Fantastic Beasts, wand snapping, if we’re more excited for The Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts, and a lot more.
Running time: 1:30:04, 54.5 MB
Serious writing from Jo calls for serious discussion — in this case, on the History of Magic in North America.
- Why do these history lessons feel more… adult… than previous writings by J.K. Rowling?
- How will each of these pieces relate to the Fantastic Beasts movie?
- Americans didn’t seem to be painted in a positive light in these new writings.
- Will Newt’s European mindset influence American Wizards? He may have an opportunity to put his mark on America.
- Andrew doesn’t like the official pronunciation for “MACUSA.” Or does he?
- Which of the wand makers in the U.S. would we want to get a wand from?
- We play Make the Connection with suggestions from our listeners.
- We speak to Justin Zagri, the writer and director of the new fan film Severus Snape and the Marauders.
- Please consider supporting us on Patreon! We’re close to our next milestone, which will allow us to record two episodes per month! By pledging, you’ll have instant access to lots of benefits including Bonus MuggleCast segments. Visit Patreon.com/MuggleCast to learn more.
Running time: 1:20:02, 38.6 MB