It’s official! MuggleCast is attending the biggest party of the year – MuggleNet Live! 2017: Nineteen Years Later – which is set to take place on September 1, 2017 at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida. The event is a single evening filled to the brim with magical delights! Continue reading →
Welcome to MuggleCast.com, the online home of our Harry Potter podcast! Our show has been podcasting about J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World since 2005. With each new episode we discuss the latest Harry Potter, Cursed Child, and Fantastic Beasts news and theories, and discuss all things fandom.
Thanks to our supporters on Patreon, we’re currently releasing two episodes per month. You can pledge as little as $2/month to help us reach our next milestone, which will allow us to record four episodes each month! Just like old times!
Visit our Episodes page for the older shows.
Subscribe to our podcast:
- Visit us in the iTunes store, then click ‘Subscribe.’
- iTunes not your thing? We recommend the app “Casts” for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android. For a free alternative to these apps, use Apple’s official Podcasts app or Podcast & Radio Addict for Android.
- Prefer a different app? Copy and paste this RSS feed into the app, or search for MuggleCast in the app’s podcast directory: http://podcasts.hypable.com/mugglecast/mugglecast.rss
Find our latest episodes below, or click here to begin browsing our complete archive.
Last edited May 1, 2016.
- JKR is the highest paid author of 2017… but should she be?
- We celebrate 12 years of podcasting with a special PO Box update
- Main Discussion: What has Potter changed about pop culture?
- We talk about how Potter normalized nerd culture and made reading “cool”
- Is Harry Potter a gateway fandom?
- How Harry Potter rode the wave of the Internet
- Fansites, podcasts, FRAPR maps, fan listings, phpBB forums and more
- The evolution of JKR’s website
- Book release dates, book titles, trailers exclusives and major announcements all happened via the Internet
- Having the ability to interact directly with the author, cast and crew
- Making friends through the internet
- When Jo tweets… it’s international news
- If you were to create a fansite today, what would it be?
- We’ll see you in a few weeks for MuggleNet Live in Orlando
Running time: 1:03:52, 38.3 MB
- Slug Club member Cherise joins the show
- We remember actor Robert Hardy who played Cornelius Fudge
- The original cast of Cursed Child is headed to Broadway… including the owl?
- Cursed Child’s Jack Thorne is set to pen Star Wars: Episode IX
- Andrew breaks down the differences between the Cursed Child rehearsal and final editions
- Our main discussion centers around consumerism and Harry Potter
- Take a guess at what percentage of Harry Potter’s $21 billion empire merchandising accounted for!
- Harry Potter grapes & Coca-Cola bottles: have we ever seen something we thought was too much?
- Do all of the spinoff books for the movies cheapen the series written by J.K. Rowling?
- Should publishers keep releasing different editions of the core books?
- Each host provides two good ideas for new pieces of Potter merchandise – some are NSFW!
- We share our favorite piece of non-book/movie Harry Potter merchandise that we each own
- We’ll see you on September 1 at MuggleNet Live in Orlando
Running time: 1:23:32, 50.1 MB
- Slug Club member Justin joins the show
- Eric is celebrating J.K. Rowling and Harry’s birthday this year in a different set of robes
- Don’t forget to check out our Fantastic Beasts commentary
- We reveal and discuss the big surprise from JKR’s interview with CNN
- Fans celebrate the 10th anniversary of Deathly Hallows
- Devil’s Advocate: Micah and Justin defend the encyclopedia STILL not being released
- Wizarding World expansion is coming! We discuss the latest and share your tweets!
- Credence will have a growing role in Fantastic Beasts 2 – what exactly does that mean?
- Illustrated editions get animated for Amazon Kindle!
- Mailbag: Circus Arcanus, Nurmengard, stripping magical powers and more!
- Voicemails are “mostly” sober this week and include a theory on how Grindelwald will escape!
- One month until we will be in Orlando for MuggleNet Live!
Running time: 1:15:18, 45.2 MB
Join Andrew, Eric, Micah, and Jeanna as they watch Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them from start to finish! You’ll need to bring your own copy of the movie to the party, and we tell you when to hit play on your DVD/Blu-ray/Digital copy. Throughout our viewing of the whole film we discuss specific scenes, offer theories, and complain about the number of endings. Enjoy!
Running time: 2:16:38, 82 MB
This week’s episode is sponsored by Blue Apron!
- Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals free (including free shipping!) by going to BlueApron.com/MuggleCast
- We reflect on the 10-year anniversary of Deathly Hallows, which is this Friday!
- And give our top 10 (or so) moments since 2007
- The conversation gets heated over Beedle The Bard
- Pottermore: then and now
- JKR revealing Dumbledore is gay was the first big post-Potter revelation
- The Wizarding World and Studio Tour open and expand
- The Casual Vacancy and Robert Galbraith hit bookshelves
- Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts revive the fandom
- Alan Rickman and John Hurt remembered
- The first Fantastic Beasts film did in fact tease Circus Arcanus
- Disney announces a Star Wars hotel. Will Universal respond?
- We’ll be at MuggleNet Live in Orlando on September 1!
Running time: 1:07:07, 40.3 MB
- Slug Club member Cullen joins the show
- We discuss the latest Fantastic Beasts filming news
- We’re headed to the circus!
- Circus Arcanus – Museum of Human Oddities will play a key role in Fantastic Beasts 2
- Our thoughts on the film taking place in NYC, Paris and London
- How will Grindelwald break out of prison? Who will aid in his escape?
- Will he hide out with the circus before it departs for Europe? Will he rally the circus wizards to his cause? Could he attack the circus since it’s a public event?
- Why is Albus Dumbledore joining this fight so early? It’s still roughly 20 years before he “defeats” him.
- Who are these new characters: Grimmson, Yusuf Kama, Skender?
- Theseus is confirmed with Credence, Leta and Abernathy returning! Abernathy?!? Really?
- Is there a connection between Newt and Grindelwald much like Harry and Voldemort?
- Will J.K. Rowling reveal big news in her upcoming interview with CNN?
- Make The Connection
- We’ll be at MuggleNet Live this September in Orlando! Find out how you can join us!
Running time: 1:07:07, 40.3 MB
– Evanna Lynch joins the show!
– See Evanna on London’s West End in “Disco Pigs”
– She gives her thoughts on The Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts
– So… how is J.K. Rowling doing?
– Fantastic Beasts Character Discussion: Newton Artemis Fido Scamander
– Eric talks about what it means to have a Hufflepuff take centerstage
– Newt’s strong connection to creatures; what are his ethics towards them?- Newt and Leta: we explore the very little of what’s known of their relationship
– What makes Dumbledore so fond of Newt? Does it have to do with Arianna?
– Did Newt give Fawkes to Dumbledore? Aragog to Hagrid?
– How will Newt bring down Grindelwald a second time with beasts? Are they a vulnerability?
– Make The Connection returns!
– We’ll be at MuggleNet Live! on September 1 in Orlando!
Running time: 1:24:38, 50.8 MB
- Happy Father’s Day and congrats Mikey B!
- We acknowledge several of the dads and father figures in the Potter series!
- Pottemore continues to troll Andrew
- Who the eff is Fleurble Laffalo?
- We review the new 20th Anniversary editions of Philosopher’s Stone
- Amazon.co.uk has some questionable shipping methods
- Can we expect future anniversary editions of other Potter books? What special content would they feature?
- We discuss some of the notable members of each of the Hogwarts houses
- Flitwick the dueling champion, Draco the occlumens and Lockhart the momma’s boy!
- Snape was the only Death Eater able to produce a patronus – Eric takes issue!
- Listeners share what they would change about Sorcerer’s Stone
- Next week we conclude our Fantastic Beasts character discussion with Newt Scamander and a very special guest!
Running time: 1:06:21, 39.8 MB
- We discuss the latest Fantastic Beasts casting news
- Young Dumbledore, Grindelwald, Newt & Leta – are we headed back to
Hogwarts & Godric’s Hollow?
- And we theorize on Sebastian? Who is he? A sibling? A goat? A likely casualty?
- What about Aberforth and Ariana?
- Fantastic Beasts Character Discussion: The Barebones Family
- Rowling draws parallels to institutional orphanages
- Do Mary Lou and Grindelwald share a similar objective in exposing
the wizard community?
- Did she know the truth about Credence?
- Who, if anyone, will continue her cause?
- This Week in MuggleCast History
- Voicemails cover Grindelwald, House sortings and a new Potter fan film
This week’s episode is sponsored by Casper!
- Get $50 off an obsessively engineered and insanely comfortable mattress by visiting Casper.com/MuggleCast and using code MuggleCast!
Running time: 1:08:13, 40.9 MB
- Welcome Slug Club member Juliana!
- It’s been 13 years since the release of Prisoner of Azkaban in theaters! We reminisce.
- The 20th anniversary editions of Philosopher’s Stone have shipped!
- Fantastic Beasts Character Discussion: Credence Barebone
- How much is there still to learn about him? Who was his mother? Could his father still be alive?
- Can Credence control his powers? He’s very targeted in his attacks, but his actions sometimes have unintended consequences (Chastity).
- Is it odd given how powerful Grindelwald is that he couldn’t figure out Credence was the obscurial?
- Does the obscurial mask its own identity?
- We discuss Credence’s relationship with Graves/Grindelwald
- Will Dumbledore extend a helping hand to Credence given what happened to Arianna?
- The Barebone name origin conversation takes an inappropriate turn
- What’s next for Credence? Did he really make it onto the boat?
- Voicemails: Ron, Queenie, Grindelwald, Puffs and more!
This week’s episode is sponsored by Harry’s!
- Harry’s: Get $5 off any shaving kit. Visit Harrys.com/MuggleCast to learn more!
Running time: 1:08:13, 40.9 MB