- Welcome Slug Club member Laura!
- Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Warwick Davis lend voices to Hogwarts Mystery
- Main Discussion: Did Dumbledore & Grindelwald make an unbreakable vow?
- Since Voldemort is incapable of love, how was he able to father a child?
- Does Moody know what a boggart looks like because of his magical eye?
- How do wizards watch Quidditch matches?
- Do all the professors have permanent residences at Hogwarts? What about their families?
- Did the Shrieking Shack exists prior to Remus Lupin coming to school?
- How come Hermione’s parents are cool with her never being home for the holidays?
- How did Voldemort acquire a rudimentary body?
- What happened to the chambers connected to Fluffy’s bedroom?
- Did Credence ever get an Ilvermorny acceptance letter?
- Plus, plenty more emails, voicemails and text messages
- PO BOX Update!
- Quizzitch: For Harry’s 17th birthday, what color did Hermione turn the leaves of the Weasley’s crabapple tree?
Running time: 1:18:22, 47 MB
- With Micah and Eric both out for the weekend, Andrew welcomes Hypable writer Nasim to the show!
- Andrew’s April Fools Day article hits a little too close to home for some readers.
- Andrew visited The Cursed Child NYC giftshop and spent a little too much money.
- We discuss Nasim’s recent article “The Problem With Pottermore“
- What would we like to see Pottermore become?
- Micah and Eric interview the team behind the Harry Potter Film Concert Series
- Voicemails address the Pottermore news, the Fantastic Beasts trailer, and the new Wizarding World logo.
- Quizzitch: What does Imposter Moody make Lavender Brown do under the Imperius Curse, in the classroom scene from Goblet of Fire?
- This week’s episode is sponsored by Blue Apron! Get $30 off your first meal box by clicking here.
Running time: 1:10:20, 42.2 MB
- Pottermore makes some staffing changes- Scholastic confirms release of Crimes of Grindelwald screenplay
- The mystery behind Hogwarts Mystery is revealed!
- Main Discussion: Crimes of Grindewald trailer roundup
- We breakdown the Lestrange family tree in more detail
- What does it mean that Leta and Credence are half-siblings? Will this test allegiances?
- Who is Yusuf Kama? Could it have been him staring at the family tree?
- Listeners fact check us on the Minister for Magic, DADA professor and headmaster during the late 1920s
- Did Dumbledore’s comment about Newt not following directions mean Newt really isn’t supposed to be in Paris?
- Could Grindelwald been standing before a group of peers presenting his crimes?
- Could the dance Leta attended be her own wedding or engagement party?
- What role does Leta have in all of this? Is she a casual observer to the unfolding events or does she pick a side?
- J.K. Rowling Sez covers Lethal White, Newt & Kennilworthy Whisp’s friendship and 85-year-old grandmothers
- We respond to tweets on Grindelwald’s cell, Dumbledore’s put-outer, the DADA classroom and the history of transport to Hogwarts
- Quizzitch: In Chamber of Secrets, what three nonsense spells does Harry aim at the bush before Dudley calls for his mother?
Running time: 1:23:08, 49.9 MB
- Trailer recap: is Credence able to separate himself from the Obscurus now?
- Why is the circus scene outdoors? Are the French more lackadaisical with secrecy?
- Andrew hates on Hedwig’s Theme (really)
- Voicemails touch on ground pounds, Apparition at Hogwarts, Jacob’s memory, Corvus Lestrange, and why nobody’s dressed like a wizard!
- The hosts pick a favorite trailer moment
- Main Discussion: JK Rowling’s Wizarding World gets a dedicated logo for the first time!
- Whose wands are represented in this ‘book’ design?
- Is JK Rowling being removed from the equation?
- We play Quizzitch and thank our Patrons for helping us reach the 777 Challenge!
- This week’s sponsor is BeachBody OnDemand. Text ‘MuggleCast’ to 303030 to receive a free trial of BeachBody!
Running time: 1:07:24, 97.1 MB
- The first Crimes of Grindelwald trailer is here!
- The hosts give their initial thoughts and break things down scene-by-scene
- It’s good to see you again, Hogwarts
- You can apparate on the grounds of Hogwarts?
- Our first look at Jude Law as Dumbledore. Is he never not having run-ins with the Ministry?
- Why was Dumbledore being confronted in the DADA classroom?
- Why did he send Newt to Paris?
- Grindelwald and Rosier: who are they speaking to?
- Credence and the Maledictus: how did he learn to channel his inner obscurus?
- Inside the French Ministry of Magic: what’s with all the beasts on the ceiling?
- Ride that Kelpie, Newt!
- Just who is checking out cryptic messages on walls in underground rooms?
- Credence and Leta… long lost siblings?
- The circus is finally in town! Is this how Credence made his way from New York to Paris?
- Grindelwald’s escape – did LEGO spoil a major plot point?
- Why can’t Dumbledore move again Grindelwald? Why does it have to be Newt?
- The brothers Scamander battle in a graveyard
Running time: 1:20:27, 48.3 MB
- Slug Club member Alex joins the show
- Cursed Child surprises fans with preview tickets – can we expect more of this in the future?
- Andrew shares a letter from his 11-year-old self
- The 777 Challenge is officially underway through March 31!
- Main Discussion: Were Harry, Snape & Voldemort modern-day versions of The Three Brothers?
- Did Dumbledore represent Death? JKR likes this theory!
- We break down Voldemort as Antioch (the one who died for power), Snape as Cadmus (the one who died for love) and Harry as Ignotus (the one who greeted Death as an old friend)
- Does Dumbledore actually fit better as the second brother? Or could he be representative of all three brothers at different stages of his life? We discuss.
- Did we ever consider these possibilities after reading Deathly Hallows?
- Patrons share their thoughts
- Owl Post covers potion regulations, boggarts and video games
- Quizzitch: What is the name of the goblin (besides Griphook) that Harry encounters with the Potterwatch crew?
- Bonus MuggleCast: Crookshanks and The Potters
Running time: 1:09:40, 41.8 MB
7 is a magical number in the Harry Potter series, and for a while we’ve been juuust under 777 on our Patreon. This platform has kept the show rocking and rolling over the past couple of years, so we want to hit and surpass 777 Patrons!
To encourage more sign ups, we’re launching the 777 Challenge. If we surpass 777 Patrons by March 31, and hold that number through at least May 2018, here’s what we’ll do over the summer:
- 2-hour live episode filled with call-ins as they come in
- The Holiday movie commentary
- We’ll hold a poll to figure out what our next Harry Potter movie commentary will be — Whichever the winner is, we’ll do it
- Later in the year, all Patrons who pledge $5 or more will receive a new MuggleCast mug for no extra charge. This is for the first 800 $5+ Patrons only (including those who are already pledged). Check out the design below! And yes, you’ll get to select which Hogwarts House color you’ll receive!
Can’t wait til summer or later for benefits? In April, should we hit 777 supporters by March 31, we will host a live video stream on Patreon after the three of us see The Cursed Child on Broadway.
It’s because of listeners like you that MuggleCast is a weekly podcast again. Help us continue to grow by pledging on Patreon today. There’s never been a better time!
- Slug Club member Greg joins the show all the way from Singapore
- A new Hogwarts Mystery trailer has been released
- Cursed Child announces their Friday Forty program
- We reveal our plans for the 777 Challenge! Learn more and see the mug design at right here
- Main Discussion: Potions in the Wizarding World
- We react to JKR stating that muggles can’t properly brew potions
- From Ageing Potions to the Elixir of Life to Mandrake Draught we run down the list of different types of potions
- Would the hosts be good at making them? Are we patient enough? Careful with instructions?
- Which potion does each host wish they could have in real life?
- Is there a time we wish we could have used Veritaserum? Felix Felicis?
- Over/under: How many times will Polyjuice Potion be used in Fantastic Beasts?
- The hosts create their own potions (assuming we’re wizards of course)
- Patreon Question of the Week: If you could take Polyjuice Potion for an hour, who would you turn into and why?
- Voicemails cover Cedric Diggory, Mrs. Black, and feedback on our Fudge episode
- Quizzitch: Name the members of The Advance Guard that come to Privet Drive to pick up Harry in Order of the Phoenix
- Bonus MuggleCast: We explore the theory that the Dursleys’ feelings towards Harry were magnified by the presence of a horcrux!
- This week’s episode is sponsored by NBC’s Rise, Blue Apron, and ZipRecruiter!
Running time: 1:17:12, 46.3 MB
- We will be at LeakyCon 2018 this summer in Dallas, TX!
- The Studio Tour is adding a Goblet of Fire special beginning March 30
- Cursed Child producer believes fans would want a Part 3… what?!?
- We interview The Potter Collector (Instagram)who enlightens us on his more than 1,000 books!
- How did he first get into the Potter series?
- Does he have a favorite translated edition?
- What’s his most prized possession? Is there anything he still needs to get his hands on?
- Does he collect Fantastic Beasts? Cursed Child? Or anything movie related?
- What kind of precautions does he take to protect his collection?
- Is he aware of other Potter collectors? How does his collection stack up?
- Fans should be on the lookout for #HarryPotterCollector Day on March 5
- Voicemails ask about post-Potter film roles, a little Scabbers foreshadowing, and bad Harry Potter TV show ideas.
- Chicken Soup from Mexico City
- Quizzitch: What is the core of Fleur Delacour’s wand, and the story surrounding it?
Running time: 1:06:22, 39.8 MB
- Eric is back!
- News covers John Williams, Cursed Child, Digital Illustrated Editions and Allison Sudol
- A new segment called The Pensieve debuts, as we look back at parts of the Potter series now that we’re older!
- Our first discussion centers around Cornelius Fudge and his denial of Voldemort’s return
- Fudge refuses to believe credible sources such as Dumbledore and Harry
- Comparisons are made to present-day politics
- For more discussion on Potter Politics, be sure to check out Episode 162
- Main Discussion: How many editions of the Potter series is too many?
- The hosts share how many versions of each book they currently own
- Patrons weigh in with their thoughts, including one listener who has more than 200 copies!
- Owl Post covers Ebbingdales, Jacob in Paris and a new Quidditch film series
- We have a big Patreon announcement and share plans for 2018
- Quizzitch: What famous Quidditch player died after encountering a Chimera, and has a wing in St. Mungo’s Hospital named after him? Bonus: What’s the specialty of the wing?
- We’ll see you in two weeks!
Running time: 1:20:01, 48 MB