- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald… we give our initial reactions!
- Will most of the film focus on Grindelwald’s past crimes and rise to power?
- Or can we expect new crimes committed during this movie?
- How does this impact screen time for Newt? The beasts?
- Lots of references to the Deathly Hallows (and alchemy?) in the title screen
- The new cast photo gives us several first looks, including Jude Law as Dumbledore
- What’s up with Jacob and Queenie staring directly at Grindelwald?
- Credence is cozied up with a new character! What exactly is a Maledictus?
- Leta is engaged to Newt’s brother! What does that mean for the brothers Scamander?
- We’ve got a pretty good theory about when the first trailer is coming!
- Andrew reports live from Orlando for Holidays at Hogwarts
- Listener tweets, emails, voicemails and quizzitch!
- We’ll see you after the Thanksgiving holiday!
Running time: 1:06:19, 39.8 MB
- Welcome Slug Club member Nicki
- PO Box Update: some Halloween and British surprises!
- A Pokemon GO style Harry Potter game is in the works from Niantic!
- Our initial thoughts on Harry Potter: Wizards Unite and Portkey Games
- What does the title suggest? Will it focus on Fantastic Beasts at all or only Harry Potter?
- What other Potter video games would we like to see? Which old classics do we want remade?
- Our Main Discussion focuses on the brand-new Fantastic Beasts Illustrated Edition
- The foreword answers that question we had about Obscurus Books
- We get educated on the history of what defines a beast and how they’re concealed from Muggles
- Is it coincidence that Newt includes the story of a jarvey in the introduction?
- Which beasts caught our attention? Which ones would we like to see in Fantastic Beasts 2?
- We run through some interesting notes Micah took while reading the book
- Getting high on billywigs, erumpent mating habits, killer bowtruckles and more
- We asked our patrons what dream features they’d like from this new Harry Potter app?
- Emails, voicemails and text messages
- Quizzitch Question of the Week has a Half-Blood twist!
And here’s Nicki and Robert’s sweet Harry Potter display (with a cameo from their pup Parker)!
Running time: 1:25:50, 51.5 MB
- Pottermore continues to troll Andrew about Lavender Brown
- An adoption agency in Orlando is sorting dogs into Hogwarts Houses
- Evanna Lynch has launched her brand-new podcast – check it out!
- Main Discussion: Newt’s Book Release Party in Fantastic Beasts 2
- Flourish and Blotts and Diagon Alley will feature in the next film
- What will 1920s Diagon Alley look like?
- The perfect excuse to bring the fearsome foursome back together
- Will Theseus make an appearance? Dumbledore? Credence?
- Is it just coincidence that we had another notable book release in the second Potter film?
- What’s the deal with Obscurus Books? Is Newt a self-publisher?
- With the book release taking place in March 1927, the Dark Lord has now been born
- Emails, voicemails and text messages!
- Quizzitch returns Order of the Phoenix style
Running time: 1:11:45, 43.1 MB
- Slug Club member Kate joins the show!
- Andrew and Eric share their Halloween costumes
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is headed to Australia! What country will be next?
- Coming soon: the title for next Fantastic Beasts film! Does that mean a trailer is not far behind?
- Listeners share their Fantastic Beasts 2 movie title suggestions
- Main Discussion: Halloween & Harry Potter
- We talk about the key events that have happened on October 31 in the Potter series
- That night in Godric’s Hollow, Troll in the Dungeon, the Triwizard Tournament selection and more
- Did JKR always intend for Halloween to play a pivotal role in each book? Why did she choose it?
- Is there a reason it stopped being so important after Goblet of Fire?
- No Halloween discussion is complete without ghosts!
- The hosts profile the Hogwarts House ghosts, Professor Binns, Moaning Myrtle and Peeves
- We ask listeners which House they would join if they had to choose based on the House ghost!
Running time: 1:23:49, 50.3 MB
- Welcome Slug Club member Irvin!
- Cursed Child tickets go on sale and we’re left in the dust!
- Until Katy (and her husband) come to the rescue!
- We discuss ticket prices – why were no special offers made for people buying both Parts 1 & 2?
- Listeners share their Cursed Child ticket buying experiences
- We review Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
- The book details the exhibition currently at the British Library
- It feels like touring a museum (in a good way)
- We explore the original synopsis JKR sent to Bloomsbury
- The Harry Potter world owes a lot to then 8-year-old Alice Newton
- Ghost panels, statues, a selection committee of professors – the Sorting Hat that almost wasn’t!
- Fudge and Vernon Dursely were originally going to be coworkers? WHAT?!
- We look at JKR’s early list of Hogwarts professors: Enid Pettigrew, Oakden Hernshaw, Mopsus?
- Harry and Ron almost met the merpeople in Chamber of Sercrets!
- Steve Kloves shares his story and how judging a book by its cover almost cost him the films
- Quizzitch: In Prisoner of Azkaban, what does Snape task students with in their year-end lesson?
- Voicemails on Grindelwald and Wizarding World theme park
Running time: 1:27:30, 84.4 MB
- Slug Club member Bethany joins the show
- Eric gives us a Trivia Night update
- Cursed Child Broadway tickets on sale this week! Who will make the cut?
- The Cormoran Strike series is headed to Cinemax
- Chris Riddell set to illustrate The Tales of Beedle the Bard for Bloomsbury
- Listener Rebuttals focus on the latest Fantastic Beasts casting news
- Will we find out what Nicolas Flamel and Dumbledore discovered?
- We receive some Death Eater clarification
- Will Dumbledore take away Grindelwald’s powers out of love?
- Taking a look at the entire cast, where do we think Fantastic Beasts 2 is headed?
- Can beasts even fit into a story with this many characters?
- Is there a chance FB 2 focuses on one beast that’s integral to the plot?
- How much time do we think we will spend looking back as opposed to present-day?
- We review casting to date, including one we have overlooked (who is Krall)?
- Patrons share their overwhelming support for more Seraphina Pcquery screen time
- Quizzitch and text messages return!
Running time: 1:34:46, 83.2 MB
- Eric and Andrew gear up for another trivia night
- Cursed Child’s Broadway registration is now closed!
- We review the Prisoner of Azkaban Illustrated Edition
- Our main discussion centers around the new Fantastic Beasts casting news
- We question if there is any relation between Eric and Spielman?
- Andrew explains the relationship between Jessica Williams and JKR
- Travers and Rosier: we discuss the two known Death Eaters
- Nicolas Flamel will appear in Fantastic Beasts 2! In present-day form or in a flashback?
- Could Grindelwald be in search of the Sorcerer’s Stone? Is that story too familiar?
- Will Flamel assist Newt in his latest journey?
- Carmen Ejogo is back as Seraphina Picquery. Will her appearance be short-lived?
- Andrew attempts the sequel to HP Encyclopedia: The Musical
- Emails and voicemails return, with a text message thrown in the middle
- In Bonus MuggleCast — available on Patreon — We discuss the prank Sirius and James played on Snape. What was going through Sirius’ mind? Does it affect our view of him?
Running time: 1:26:40, 83.2 MB
- Cursed Child is open for registration!
- Eric and Micah share their Ticketmaster experiences while Andrew registers on air.
- JKR won’t pander to the fandom: is it the Encyclopedia or Marauder’s story that’s in jeopardy?
- Could Cursed Child have run for a week? Would fans have gone to see all five parts?
- Our thoughts on JKR’s comments on the collaborative nature of Cursed Child
- JKR has given fans a lot since the release of Deathly Hallows – should we want more?
- The difference between giving fans too much and giving them what they want
- We tackle last week’s Quizzitch question
- E-mail-bag: Maybe a Game of Thrones style Marauders story isn’t all that bad after all
- The Prisoner of Azkaban Illustrated Edition hits store shelves this week!
Running time: 57:44, 55.4 MB
- Slug Club member and Hogwarts Professor Kyle joins the show
- Eric and Andrew recap their Potter trivia night in Chicago
- Kyle talks about his Potter classroom and how it went viral
- How have his students reacted? Have more of them started to read Potter?
- What’s been the response from the school? Teachers around the world?
- We learn about how Kyle incorporates Potter into his daily curriculum
- And he has a few tough questions for us: Does the Harry Potter series have a narrator?
- Should Squibs be allowed to take courses at Hogwarts?
- Episode 337 Rewind: Patrons share the courses they would teach at Hogwarts
- Healing, Magical Artifacts, Journalism, Music and more!
- The hosts tell which courses they would most like to teach… and play hooky from!
- Emails cover Newt’s wand, The Cursed Child & a Horcrux-Obscurus theory!
Running time: 1:27:11, 83.7 MB
- Slug Club member Robert joins the show
- New Potter merchandise hits the market
- Jude Law shows off his Dumbledore scruff
- Episode 336 Rewind: Listeners share their favorite modes of magical transportation
- We break down the Hogwarts Courses in our latest main discussion
- Where do Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms and Herbology rank on our list?
- Do Divination, Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures and History of Magic even matter?
- How important is Flying?
- Bonus MuggleCast tackles Muggle Studies, Potions and Transfiguration
- If we were to make our own Hogwarts class schedule, what subjects would make our Top 5?
- Pop Quiz of the Week debuts!
This week’s episode is sponsored by Blue Apron and ZipRecruiter!
- Blue Apron: Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals free (including free shipping!) by going to BlueApron.com/MuggleCast
- ZipRecruiter: Post your job for free and find the perfect applicants quickly! Visit ZipRecruiter.com/MuggleCast today
Running time: 1:12:49, 104.9 MB